Thursday, April 28, 2011

Navajo Rugs

If you are a weaver, spinner, knitter, quilter or in general a crafter and you live in Minneapolis then the Textile Center is for you .  As an organization it functions as a shop, museum and library and is supported by over 30 different guilds.  Two of these guilds have permanent residence, one of them being the Weavers Guild of Minnesota.  Every time I visit  I am constantly discovering never ending inspiration whether it comes from the museums, a rare Swedish weaving book found in the library or the rotating displays in the hallways.  There is always something new to see and learn.  I appreciate being able to engulf myself in an environment and with people that strive to promote and advance the art of spinning and weaving.  More often than not textiles are an overlooked branch of our culture.  And yet they are one of the cornerstones of our civilization that has been present for centuries and still is.  Hand woven cloth is one of the most humbling and ancient arts that is taken for granted in the modern world.  Acquiring the knowledge and ability to keep this craft alive makes me feel connected to my roots it also gives me a huge appreciation for handmade goods-and even industrial ones.  It can’t be denied that the industrialization of weaving cloth is something to marvel at.  I am lucky to be part of this community.

Today I am inspired by these Navajo Rugs on display from the 1930’s.  I am typically not a fan of Navajo textiles, but somehow the color, geometry and design seems to come together in a way that is fresh and modern.  I can’t get over these color combinations either.  I might have to take that Navajo Weaving class after all.


Navajo Rug Display at the Weavers Guild.








Two of my favorite color combos.

No comments:

Post a Comment