Thursday, October 13, 2011

In the post

For as long as I can remember I have received and sent postcards abroad and locally.  In the past 7 years, I have made it somewhat of a tradition to write a postcard in poem format.  I love sitting at a cafe trying to decipher what to rhyme with mosque, croissant or vino.  It has become a bit of a game for me.  This past trip to Sweden I came very close to not sending postcards.  Gasp!  Luckily, for all you recipients, I stumbled across the most absolutely adorable stamps I had ever seen and then I was determined.  In hindsight, I am very happy that I did not break with tradition.  Here is what I wrote....

Hej hej from Sweden, 

On the island of Uto through mossy pine forests we hike,
Along pastoral fields to white sandy beaches we bike.
After 2 lovely days and plenty of time to relax,
It's back to civilization and delicious gravlax.
At the conditori we feast on cinnamon buns with tea and milk,
Later it's off to admire 18th century weaving in silk. 
Stockholm city skyline at sunset is especially pretty by ferry,
There's so much to see; we mustn't tarry.
At the Nordic Museum, Scandinavian crafts we see,
Then on to the Vasa ship that capsized at sea.
Luckily the hotel we slept on called the Red Boat,
Was much better engineered to stay afloat!

No comments:

Post a Comment